Thursday, December 16, 2010

Little Brown Boy

As I boarded a subway train heading for a busy shopping center in central Taipei, a little brown boy caught my attention. I (incorrectly) assumed he was African American. I immediately felt concerned because I also (incorrectly) assumed that, because there were no other African Americans on the train, the little boy was traveling alone. My assumptions were soon debunked.
Upon sitting down one seat over from the little boy, the old Taiwanese man beside me, (between the boy and me) promptly initiated conversation. He wanted me to talk to the little boy who was now bashfully smiling at me. Although, I often have an unfavorable view of children, I have to admit this little boy was unnervingly adorable. I soon discovered that the little boy's mother is 1/2 Tanzania 1/2 Taiwanese, and the father is Tanzania. The little boy was born and raised in Taiwan.

I feel sad for the boy. Being brown in Taipei is anything but simple. The inappropriate staring and pointing can become overwhelming; often leading me into day dreams about the diversity of America. I regret that the little boy will group in a society which values pale skin and is woefully ignorant of other cultures (A fact highlighted by the unconstrained reactions of shock and awe by many Taiwanese at the sight of two brown people on the subway train together). I regret that he will at times feel alone and conspicuous. Nevertheless, he seemed happy-go-luck, and, although we only exchange sparse words, he made my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment